Frankenfood! In Vitro meat to feed the future
Growing food takes on a whole new meaning… In Vitro meat is garnering more and more interest as a viable source of a future protein source. Would you eat a hamburger made from meat grown in a petri dish? Cara Santa Maria put together this video highlighting some of the benefits of growing our meat sources in the future, and the dangers of present practices. Here are some of the highlights:
- 40 billion animals are killed per year in the US alone
- One million chickens are killed per hour
- Over one-fourth of the total land surface of the earth is used for livestock grazing (or non-grazing, like in factory farms)
- Global meat production accounts for 18 percent of greenhouse gasses. That’s more than every car, bus, train, and airplane produces combined.
- To make 15 grams of edible meat, we have to feed that animal 100 grams of vegetable protein.
Time to eat some Frankenfood!