Boozy Bacon Jam [RECIPE]
Boozy bacon jam. Just say it out loud… go on… boozy bacon jam. Careful of the drool on the keyboard. This recipe calls for bacon, whiskey, ginger and maple syrup. That should make almost anybody happy…
Bacon jam can be served warm or cold, on pretty much anything you can think of. Although the recipe calls for a rather large number of ingredients, it is very easy to make. Enjoy!
Boozy Bacon Jam
This Awesome Recipe by Spoon Fork Bacon
Makes 2 cups
- 1 lb applewood smoked bacon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup sweet bourbon or brandy
- 2/3 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons Sriracha
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Render bacon on medium-high for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from the pot, add butter and melt.
3. Add onion, brown sugar and a pinch of salt and cook for 10 to15 minutes.
4. Add shallot, garlic and spices and sauté for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
5. Return the bacon to the pot and stir until well combined.
6. Pour the bourbon/brandy into the bacon mixture and cook the liquid down for about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
8. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Skim off any fat/grease that has formed at the top and discard.
10. Pour the mixture into a food processor and process until desired consistency is achieved.
11. Serve warm or store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, until ready to use.